Saturday, September 5, 2009

Monitor Lizards vs. Feral Cats

So right away it sounds like a uneven match-up no matter which camp your in right? For the reptologist nothing beats the prehistoric, dragon-like, monitor and for the cat fancier there is no more formidable opponent than the wily, street smart, feral cat especially if his posse has his back.
One day recently I found myself with the mission: "Tim, go to Mims, there's a woman with a colony of feral cats; she says they are being preyed upon by a monitor lizard." There is a catch; no address, no name, no phone number, just the town of Mims. A town I would soon find out has nine feral cat colonies. How do I know this interesting factoid about Mims? Seems Fish and Game keeps a registry of "Feral Cat Colonies". Just the term colonies when used with feral cats was a new one to me, like one day they would develop into civilized societies. Rules of law, by-laws, boring council meetings, interesting scandals.
Being mister can-do I set out to find this particular colony. Feeling a little like the guy searching for Col. Kurtz in Conrads' "Heart of Darkness", understand the town of Mims can be a scary place and there was the rumor of a Monitor Lizard. Where do you start with so little to work with? Figuring any "feral cat colony aid worker" worth their salt would have to frequent the local hardware store; they would certainly need materials for enclosures, lots of bowls for food and water, this particular aid worker might be in the market for a large trap for say a...lizard maybe? Fortunately the town is small, only one hardware store, so the labor of explaining my dilemma, at least to the hardware set, was short. But also provided no new clues.
Feral cat colonies have not developed to the point that there is any signage or demarcated boundaries yet. So where to next? The feed store folks knew of several keepers of large cat populations which they had colorful commentary on, but had heard nothing of a hungry lizard with a taste for feline.
I had started the search at the northern border of town; so why not go right to the south end? The bait and tackle shop. I know what you're thinking. "What the... why a bait shop?" It was the last business headed south, cats love fish, maybe someone trying to lure a large lizard would search there. The people in the bait shop were amazingly adept at hiding any interest in or even surprise at the story I had for them. They seemed to be all about the live bait and dead fish. They also provided no clues. They did suggest however I give up the search and grab some live wild shiners and go hunt for something I'd be more likely to find.
The mission remained and now I was past feeling foolish in recounting to strangers the particulars of my search. I'd even pared down my opening mission statement to: " I'm (insert name here) I'm looking for a woman here in town who takes care of alot of cats, some of which are, being eaten by a large lizard." I had variations on that statement like mentioning the lizard first as that would stick out more in peoples minds. So I started hitting businesses in short order convenience stores, the auto repair shop, the used furniture store. No luck....more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment