Monday, September 7, 2009

Monitor Lizard vs. Feral Cats Part 2

So a quick recap: Hungry Lizard, Victimized Cats, Mysterious Cat Lady, Mims that about covers it. This was an unlikely collision of two pet species forced into a death struggle by irresponsible pet keepers. The cats were probably many generations past ever being considered pets. I have to admit I don't know the life span of a monitor lizard but felt pretty sure he was out there on his own, no mate, no community, just surviving. Kind of like the last Mohican.
So the feed store folks had entertaining stories but no info to help me in my mission. The ladies in the Holy Spirit Thrift Store seemed the most interested in helping me find this woman. Without any hint of passing judgment on lizard, feral cat colonies, or cat ladies they did an informal poll of all the volunteers in the store. Amy did indeed know of a regular customer who had a large number of cats in her care. She knew her by first name only Beth, but once again, no address no phone number. A glimmer of hope though this was her regular day for shopping there. Amy told me I should check back in the afternoon. Another volunteer knew of a colony of cats near the public library and suggested I check there.
Mims has a fine public library that it shares with the town of Scottsmor. I love the very idea of public libraries "socialized literacy." In whispered tones I recounted the story I was by now well rehearsed in but I was also beginning to recognize non-recognition in the faces of my audience before I finished telling the story. So to hopefully bring up to speed I felt it needed more description. Hard to do in a whisper. Komodo dragon-like, but smaller, hiding in a culvert ambushing unsuspecting kitties. Of course I should have remembered from my days working in a public library that whispering was not necessary. When I finished explaining myself to the woman at the circulation desk, she turned and in a full-throated voice, bellowed to the periodicals clerk. "You know of any cats being eaten by a big lizard?" Nope. But they thought the house on the hill behind the library had a large cat population.
The house on the hill did have all the signs, fenced carport, with lots of carpet covered climbing structures. The yard outside that enclosure was littered with a variety of plates presumably for cat food. Drat! Nobody home. I was starting to get desperate. Standing in the street in front of the house I resorted to stopping motorists. Some were frightened to learn of a lizard on the loose "Oh my god, how big?" Some were amused, "It doesn't stand a chance against my rottweilers." One woman said her son had a lizard that escaped. His name was Psycho, the lizard not her son, this had promise the name certainly fit the profile of a cat marauding monitor. Then she informed me the escape happened five years earlier. As strange as this all was to me five years with no report of cats being harmed seemed implausible.
The only grocery store in town was a language barrier that once overcome proved fruitless. The post office was too bureaucratic, protecting privacy, blah, blah,blah. I finally got a call back from the ladies of Holy Spirit they had an address for Beth but didn't think from their conversation with her that she was who I wanted. I went anyway. Very kind, she must be to care for strays, but she also had a big dog that would run interference between any lizard and her cats.
I was now completely out of time. I had succeeded in nothing more than alarming the whole community of Mims about the presence of a monitor lizard on the loose. It was time to move on and find another community living peacefully until I had a chance to stir things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment